Welcome to the Santa Clarita Valley (CA) Branch of AAUW
The Santa Clarita Valley Branch of AAUW was organized on July 22, 1968 – almost 20 years before Santa Clarita became a city. Initially, 40 vibrant, dynamic women joined and today the membership has more than doubled, with seven Charter Members still active. The Santa Clarita Valley is located 35 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles and includes the communities of Valencia, Newhall, Stevenson Ranch, Canyon Country, Castaic, Saugus, Agua Dulce, Acton and Val Verde.
To Contact Us, Click here: SCV AAUW Branch
Throughout the years, the SCV AAUW branch has contributed significantly to the community and to women’s causes by –
- Partnering with the College of the Canyons (COC), to initiate the Women’s Conference, College Night and Career Day
- Funding up to 24 girls in the 7th grade for a one-week residential math, science, and technology summer camp
on a California university campus.
- Sponsoring political “Candidates’ Discussion” nights
- Contributing to the establishment of the local Food Pantry
- Nurturing the docent program at the Placerita Nature Center
- Encouraging higher education for women by awarding scholarships to College of the Canyons
- Producing an educational outreach program for elementary, middle and high school students, “Women In History,” to teach children in the SCV about women’s’ valuable contribution to history and culture.
SCV AAUW members begin the year in September with a Membership Brunch, followed by Program meetings in October, November, January and February. December’s activities include a Holiday Gathering, the March project is a fundraising event for the AAUW/College of the Canyons MESA scholarship, and the April ventures highlight the Women In History presentation and the Tech Trek awards. In May, the branch celebrates the Installation of new officers and in August, AAUW celebrates the return of the Tech Trek campers with an End of the Year Party.